Biryani, a quintessential Indian dish, is known for its rich flavors and aromatic spices. Among the various regional variations, Lucknowi Chicken Biryani stands out for its royal taste and delicate blend of spices. In this article, we’ll guide you through a quick and easy recipe to recreate the magic of Lucknowi Chicken Biryani at home.
For Marinating the Chicken:
- 500g boneless chicken pieces
- 1 cup yogurt (curd)
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
For the Rice:
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-5 green cardamom pods
- 4-5 cloves
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- Salt to taste
For the Biryani:
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Saffron strands soaked in 2 tablespoons warm milk (for garnish)
Marinating the Chicken:
- In a mixing bowl, combine yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and salt.
- Add the chicken pieces and coat them evenly with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can refrigerate it for a richer taste.
Cooking the Rice:
- Wash the Basmati rice thoroughly and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the soaked rice, bay leaf, green cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon stick, and salt.
- Cook the rice until it’s 70-80% done. It should still have a slight bite. Drain and set aside.
Making the Biryani:
Step 1: Frying Onions
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Add thinly sliced onions and sauté until they turn golden brown and crispy. Remove half of the fried onions for garnishing.
Step 2: Cooking Chicken
- In the same pan, add 2 more tablespoons of ghee and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and cook until they turn brown and tender.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green chilies. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and the oil starts to separate.
- Stir in half of the chopped coriander and mint leaves.
Step 3: Layering Biryani
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or biryani cooker, start by spreading a layer of cooked rice.
- Add a layer of the cooked chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle some of the fried onions, chopped mint, and coriander leaves.
- Repeat the layers until all the rice and chicken are used up.
- Finish with a layer of rice on top.
Step 4: Dum Cooking
- Drizzle saffron milk over the top layer of rice.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid or seal it with dough to create a steam-tight environment.
- Cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes. This allows the flavors to meld and the biryani to absorb the aroma.
Once your Lucknowi Chicken Biryani is ready, garnish it with the remaining fried onions, chopped mint, and coriander leaves. Serve hot with raita (yogurt dip) and enjoy the taste of homemade goodness.
Lucknowi Chicken Biryani is a dish that brings together the essence of North Indian cuisine. With this quick and easy recipe, you can savor the flavors of Lucknow right in your own home. The blend of spices, tender chicken, and aromatic rice will leave you and your loved ones craving for more. So, why wait? Gather your ingredients, follow the steps, and indulge in the deliciousness of homemade Lucknowi Chicken Biryani today!